1964 Johnson Deluxe Resto-Mod!

Deluxe, Duals, SeaSports, Runabouts

Re: 1964 Deluxe Restorod!

Postby peedee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm

The crack in the port stringer - is there something going on beneath that crack in the fiberglass? You should peel some of the fiberglass off around the crack to be sure there is no subjacent wood stringer issues that will need to be repaired or otherwise your repair will not last. The sterndrive puts a lot of force on that substructure and you want to be sure it is in top shape. The wood stringers are an easy fix with wood and plates and it will not show. Looks like you are down to bare bones. Aren't you amazed at the thickness of the fiberglass in the hull? Is there foam to be added? I did not see the 2 part foam cans in the picture. TK
peedee

Postby peedee » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Good that there are no wood stringers to rot. I did a floor on the Rogue and had some mild wood rotting in the forward area behind a forward compartment bilge. Redid that whole forward compartment. Not too bad. Basic tools all that were needed. I used about 4 gallons total to foam the floor of the Rogue so you should have enough. Looks like you might be in the water by spring or sooner. A lot of work but well worth it when you are finally cruizing along. TK
peedee

Postby peedee » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm

This is what I would do. Get your floor in then get the motor running - maybe not restored and perfect but running. Make sure the water pumps work. Get the trailer good enough to get you safely to the nearest lake. Get the basic package up and going. Take it out and enjoy it some this coming up summer. Then when fall hits start on it again. You can run the sterndrive in freshwater - if it leaks just drain it occasionally. It will not kill it. I know this may sound crazy but you need some positive feedback for your efforts. I have taken years to do my restorations that are always in progress. Not going to paint the hull. Faded getcoat is easier to take care of and it looks pretty good IMO. Every man has his tastes. Its not the final destination but the journey that is fun. TK
peedee

PreviousNext

Return to 17's OMC & Johnson